Building Codes

Alger County Building Codes Joe Cilc, Building Codes Inspector
Office Phone: (906) 387-2727
101 Court Street Cell Phone: (906) 420-5525
Munising, MI. 49862

How do I apply for a Building Permit?

Applications: Building Permit
Mechanical Permit
Plumbing Permit
Residential Electrical Permit
Industrial / Commercial Electrical Permit

Spring 2022
From your Building Department

A reminder as to which projects we need a building permit for new construction and alteration of homes, camps, garages, decks, porches, and storage buildings. In the case of fire restoration contact this department for special inspection. Electrical, mechanical, and plumbing permits are separate issues.

ALL COMMERCIAL work requires a permit.

When building a home, camp or any structure consider these steps while applying for permits:

  • Zoning, a process by which, among other things, we determine how far from your lot lines (no matter how large your property is) you need to build, as well as what is appropriate for your zoning district. In Alger County, all zoning is handled by individual townships.
  • Well/Septic, your property must be approved for a well and/or a septic before I can issue you a building permit, Contact the Health Department.
  • Soil Erosion and Sedimentation Control, if a building is within 500 feet of a lake or stream or if you are excavating one acre or more, regardless of location. Contact the Building Codes Department.
  • Fire number, Section R 321 of the Building Code states all new buildings must have an address visible from the street. Apply to the Sheriff Department for an address.
  • Driveway Permit, county or state roads require a driveway permit.
  • Building Permit, you need drawings showing a cross section so I can view the structural components for code compliance as well as the insulation package, plot plan, and floor plan which show things such as window and door sizes and locations. A code handout is available at the building department. Remember the code for roof structures is at least 70 pounds per square foot of live (Roof snow) load without reductions.
  • Electrical, mechanical, and plumbing permits are required.

Spring 2022
From your Building and Soil Erosion Department

With spring upon us, the projects we dream about all winter, can now begin

Let's start at the beginning. Excavation (earth changes) for whatever the reason within 500 feet of a lake or stream and for earth changes that are more than one acre (208' x 208' = 43,560 square feet) or more in surface area, regardless of the location, Soil Erosion and Sedimentation Control is always required and this is monitored through a Soil Erosion and Sedimentation Permit.

We do our best to prevent man made earth changes from being caried into our streams, rivers, creeks, ponds, and lakes by wind and/or rain. The sedimentation closes in the areas fish use to place their eggs therefore we reduce the fish populations.

There are several methods to prevent soil erosion, silt fence, hay bales, Or sedimentation traps. The most frequently used is the silt fence method, available at local hardware stores.

If you are planning to build near a lake or stream or going to excavate one acre or more, please contact me or have your excavator contact me for the Soil Erosion Permit before any digging begins. If you are building in or near wetlands or in a body of water, please contact Kristi Wilson at 906-236-0380 with the Michigan Department of Environmental Quality (MDEQ).