PART-TIME COURT RECORDER AND JUDICIAL SECRETARY
MINIMUM JOB REQUIREMENTS:
Salaried 20 hours per week position for the 93rd District Court. Court Recorder must possess advanced work processing and secretarial skills; must have proper license required by the State of Michigan to be a Certified Electronic Recorder (CER) within six months. If Court recorder has not passed the CER within one year, the employee would be terminated. Also, the employee must have the ability to work with the public and must be organized and familiar with accounting principles. Employee must be able to work evenings on occasion. Must be cross trained with Chief Civil Clerk and Magistrate and able to perform their duties within the limitations set by the law and the judge (cannot authorize arrest warrants or search warrants). Employee must be familiar with Michigan Court Rules and legal procedures; cannot give legal advice, but knowledge of civil and criminal procedure is required.
COURT RECORDER GENERAL DUTIES (MCLA 600.8601)
- Record court proceedings for the District Court and other courts on assignment.
- Judicial Secretary for the District Judge.
- Perform other functions and duties as may be required by rule of the Supreme court.
- COURT RECORDINGS: Must be present in court for all proceedings; maintain a log for each case; mark exhibits as needed; maintain court recording equipment; report all bind overs of felonies to the Circuit Court; responsible for the safekeeping of all records and corresponding logs.
- TRANCRIPT PREPARATION: Transcribe the verbatim record from court proceedings when ordered, copying, filing, and mailing of the same within the time constraints required by statue or court rule.
- ACCOUNTING: Reconcile and prepare monthly transmittal of all District Court financial records and assist auditors when necessary.
- ORDERS: Prepare all judicial orders, opinions, correspondence, and file same; prepare and submit required reports to the Supreme Court Administrative office (SCAO), such as judicial assignments, judicial mileage, matters undecided, etc.
- COURT CLERK DUTIES: Assist the Chief Civil Court Clerk (as court clerk) and Magistrate with duties as needed and fill in for Chief Civil Clerk and Magistrate vacation and medical leave (limited by law and the Judge). Ability to work together with a team of professional court staff. Must be able to assist in operation of the Alger/Schoolcraft 93rd District Court Substance Abuse Treatment Court and Mental Health Treatment Court and record the review hearings.
- Starting salary rate is $571.20 biweekly.
- Employee would work 40 hours biweekly on Monday, Tuesday and Thursday of each week.
- There are no fringe benefits for this position. Union dues of $32.30 per month must be paid by employee.